Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Dateline: Day Thirty Eight

I've been pretty buy the past couple of days.  The kids workshop with John D. started today  Technically I am a camper with the kids but it's because I am the only "worker" who is not a professional (has been paid for an acting job).

But Tuesday went well.  My friend Jerry Gelb came in and taught a class on finding the physical in a character.  All characters have different physicalities.  Then we heard from Judy Savage who is a child agent.  I asked her, more for convesation than anthing else, how I could go about getting an agent and she told me that because I was heavy I had to do standup comedy and perfect a "character" like Larry The Cable Guy, Tim Allen, Roseanne, and others.  She said that because I am over 21 I won't be able to get an agent in LA.  Now keep this conversation in mind for later!  Go ahead.  Put it in the back pocket of your mind.  There ya go.

So last night I went to my acting class and did the scene with my new partner for the first time.  This is where frustration can set in.  The scene is set in rural Texas.  It was written with a lot of "Yeps and Ya'lls".  So I played it with a southern or hick accent.  I was told not to play the accent.  That's frustrating.  I do what the character screams for and it's wrong.  But the last scene I did I brought down the Italian accent for the second run...like he asked...and he told me I needed MORE accent then.  He definately knows what he want out of a scene.  But that was the only real note I got, so the interpreation of the scene was right on. 

Today was fun at camp.  Japheth started the day with some improve work, the we met Joey Paul.  She was in Marion for the CSA sitcom in July and I was able to do  a cold read of a scene for her.  She had high praise for me back then.  So we all were able to do scenes for her today as well.  She gave notes after the first run then we went again.  I did my scene with Nick.  It was a scene from "That's So Raven".  Oh!  Did I mention that Joey Paul is basically the lead casting director for Disney?  So I played a schoolyard bully who pushes poor Nick around for his lunch.  So we do the scene and she gives some brief notes.  After she just says that the scene was good and looks at me and says "you're funny".  She then asks if I have agent representation.  I tell her no and he asks how long I'm out here for.  I tell her that it's up in the air and she said that she would talk to John D. after the class.  So after the class John calls me up front and Ms. Paul tells me to send my headshot and resume to Michael Zanuck who has his own agency.  She said to make sure in the cover letter that I menion that she referred me to him.  I talked to John and he confirmed that having her refer me is a big deal.  So I am sending my info out tomorrow.  I'm not sure if I will mail it or drive it over.  It's a half our drive one way and that's a lot of gas in LA with all the starting and stopping.  Plus with traffic it could be an hour one way.  Anyway, not sure yet. 

So tonight I go to the agent workshop in West Hollywood.  This is where I as able to do a scene in front of five agents.  It was very cool.  They gave no feedback or anythng and you could not have your lines in your hands.  You had to do it completely by memory.  I've done so many scenes since I've been out here hat I really wasn't that nervous.  Not sure what he agents thought but three people from the class that i have never met before came up to me and told me how good my partner and I did the scene.  So we'll see if anything comes from that. 

So that's about it.  More workshop with the kids tomorrow.  Then tomorrow night it's laundry.  My only free night this week.  So for anyone out there who feels the urge, please pray for me, it's going well, but slower than I had hoped.  Honestly, I would imagine that I am further along than most people who come out here.  I owe that to my friends who are here to help me. 

Well that's about it.  I hope you all have a great day!

Charles

3 comments:

  1. There are so many people back home praying for you, babe! I'm so proud of the progress you've made in the short about of time you've been out there. Good for you!

    God has a plan for you and wouldn't have given you such a natural talent if he didn't have plans for you to use it. We just have to have faith and watch that plan unfold.

    Love you so much! Congrats on the achievements this week! Have fun with the kids!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Charles! Great news and I'm glad you're keeping busy! I truly hope that something starts spinning soon. I'm sure it can get frustrating hearing how great you are and no offers yet, but you really have made a lot of progress in a short amount of time. Keep it up! Everything happens for a reason! Take care bud! Go Colts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will just take meeting the right person at the right time. Keep on keepin' on, son.

    We are proud of you. You are putting a lot of time and effort into your dream.

    ReplyDelete